Backdating council tax benefit uk

Rated 4.6/5 based on 646 customer reviews

Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction can be backdated for up to three months if you are of pensionable age and one month if you are younger than this.If you feel you have good cause for your claim/application to be backdated (for example, if you have been in hospital before claiming) then please contact us.If you (or your partner if you have one) have reached pension age, you don’t have to ask us to backdate your claim – we will automatically check if we can when we receive your form.This only applies if you (or your partner) are not in receipt of Jobseekers Allowance, Income Support, or Employment and Support Allowance.In some circumstances, we may be able to pay Housing Benefit for an earlier date than the date of your claim form. Backdating is sometimes possible, but there are only limited circumstances, so it is best to make your claim for housing benefit as soon as possible.The rules about when we can pay a backdate are different for people who are working age and people who have reached pension age.You can find the relevant reference numbers on the landlord payment schedule.If you would like more information about a decision, or if you think a decision we made is wrong, you can get in touch with us at the above address to request more information.

You can let us know by downloading and completing a Change of Circumstance form. In some specific circumstances Discretionary Housing Payments can be used to make up a shortfall in housing benefit, or to help towards a deposit or removal costs to allow you to access suitable housing.

Housing benefit and Local Housing Allowance are normally paid from the Monday after we receive your claim, however, claims can sometimes be backdated to start from an earlier date.

There are different rules for backdating claims depending on your age.

The Department of Work and Pensions is responsible for preventing and detecting Housing and Council Tax benefit fraud.

If you suspect that someone is committing benefit fraud, you can: Local Housing Allowance (LHA) is the name given to housing benefit when claimed for private tenancies (rather than a council or housing association property). We will ask for proof of identity if you are contacting us to discuss a claim.

Leave a Reply